Indonesian Batik Art Class
Have you ever seen a piece of cloth or clothes that have a Batik Art design? This intricate way of creating textile patterns by hand printing on fabric has its origin from Java Island, Indonesia. Batik Artisans use the tjanting instruments to draw hot wax directly onto fabric (before or after coloring the fabric depends on the designs, then repeat that process many times over). Another way to create Batik Art is to use Batik Block Stamp (this can be made from copper, wood, or steel) or other tools such as brushes.
In this 3-hour class, Luna will be teaching you the fundamentals of Indonesian Batik Art. You can choose one of these fabrics including silk, cotton, or linen for this class. You can choose to learn how to make 1 item. It can be a wearable silk scarf or a cotton or linen placemat.
You’ll learn to create your design from scratch, transfer the design onto the fabric of your choice, then use wax and coloring the fabric.
What else are you going to take away from this class?
- How to choose the fabrics, painting materials, and stretcher frames.
- How to save cost when starting out this technique, and suggestions on where to buy the required products online.
- How to fix the colors on the fabric permanently.
- How to make your art piece become a wearable silk scarf or a placemat for your dining table.
- How to stretch the painted fabric onto a wooden frame for displaying on the wall.
Who this course is for:
- Art lovers from absolute beginners to experienced artists, who want to learn or master Batik technique.
- Textile designers, fashion designers, and tailors who want to create their own fashion line from hand-painted fabrics.
- Students wanting to learn a creative skill or hobby that’s built on the basics of fabric paintings.
- Students who want to make their own products, from silk scarves, silk paintings, fabric paintings, to home decor items, and so on.
Do you want to follow this lesson in a larger group or online? Send a message for the possibilities!